Bishop Emeritus Bernard J. Harrington
The Most Reverend Bishop Bernard J. Harrington was installed as the seventh Bishop of Winona on January 6, 1999. Bishop Harrington was born in Detroit, Michigan on September 6, 1933. He is the son of John and Norah (Cronin) Harrington (both deceased), Irish immigrants from Bantry Bay, County Cork. He has two brothers, John and Timothy, and a sister, Irene.
He was ordained a priest at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Detroit on June 6, 1959, following studies at Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit and St. John's Provincial Seminary in Plymouth. He has a Masters Degree in Education from the Catholic University of America.
Ordained a bishop on January 6, 1994, Bishop Harrington has served the Archdiocese of Detroit in a variety of posts. His many assignments include: Assistant Superintendent of Schools; Pastor of Holy Name Parish, Birmingham; Rector of Sacred Heart Seminary and President of Sacred Heart Seminary College, Detroit; Director of the Department of Formation; and Pastor of St. Rene Goupil Parish, Sterling Heights. In addition, he served as Vicar of the Office of Pastoral Services for Parishes; Episcopal Liaison for the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington, D.C., and regional bishop for Macomb and St. Clair Counties.
On November 5, 1998 Bishop Bernard J. Harrington was appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Winona by Pope John Paul II. He turned 75 on September 6, 2008, and, as required by the Holy See, has submitted his request for retirement to the Vatican.